On Friday, Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha revoked the Jan 5th 2020 appointment of Prof Gitahi Kiama as the Unibersiti]y of Nairobi Vice-Chancellor.
The CS returned Prof Isaac Mbeche who has been acting since July 1st 2019 after the UoN Council led by Dr Julia Ojiambo refused then VC Peter M.F. Mbithi automatic second term.
Prof Kiama fired back by stating that he is the validly appointed VC of UoN and therefore all communications should come from him.
Prof Magoha had fired the UoN Council too.
- After the revocation of the appointment of Prof Kiama, Prof Mbeche wrote to the ICT Director that all communications should come from him.
- Prof Mbeche’s now acting VC considering CS Magoha’s gazette notice, was supported by Prof Madara Ogot
- Prof Kiama hit back through a newspaper ad stating that he is in charge and any other communication from any other quarters is ‘non-issue’.
- Education CS Prof George Magoha writes to EACC to help unravel what happened in the hasty appointment of Prof Kiama.
- Prof Kiama moves to court Monday to have the law interpret if Education CS Prof Magoha’s actions are as per the law. Mostly in a bid to keep his job.
- University of Nairobi Students Association (UNSA) led by the Nairobi main campus head Mr Byron Ochieng sides with Prof Mbeche.
“Earlier there had been claims that there was mischief in the process of Vice-Chancellor appointment…we want to say that this time round that matter be investigated as called upon by the Education CS,” said Byron Ochieng, main campus Secretary-General.
Monday, 20th January 2020:
- University of Nairobi Senate endorses removal of Vice Chancellor Stephen Kiama and supports appointment of Isaac Mbeche as acting VC.
- Education Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha says he was blindsided by the UoN Council in the appointment of Prof Gitahi Kiama.
Would you like to get published on this Popular Blog? You can now email Cyprian Nyakundi any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected] Videos and pictures can be sent to +254 710 280 973 on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram.