In a sane country, banks and financial institutions must have order. The workers must also have a proper representative if they are in a union.
The union must also be on the side of workers. However, Kenya has not functioned properly over the last 57 years.
So in late 80s, Isaiah Kubai, riding on the British plantation mentality founded and run the Banking Insurance Finance Union of Kenya (BIFU).
The illegalities at that union have already been covered before on this site.
There are three gentlemen, who have dedicated their lives to fight for workers in the Banking, Insurance, and other financial industry firms. To take back the union and make it work for workers who contribute over Sh10 million per month to it.
Isaiah Kubai has led the union for over 30 years without following its constitution, without holding a proper election, without having branches, not even a proper national office.
In December 2019, the secretary-general was ordered to produce books of accounts, members list and to state the physical location of branches.
In November 2019, Judge Byram Ongaya ordered that: ‘The Applicant is hereby granted leave to enforce the order issued by the Commission on Administrative Justice conveyed to the respondents by the letter Ref. No. CM/ATI/FIN/000/9/19 — SNK dated 30.07.2019 and to enforce the order as a decree of the Honourable Court to the like effect of a decree of the Court’.
Kubai complied, but whatever he gave were forgeries according to Gabriel Okomo, one of the officials who want proper governance of BIFU.
By acting with impunity, BIFU Sec Gen Kubai is thought to have compromised the Registrar of Trade Unions.
The three bankers Alphonse, Duncan and Gabriel are voted representatives of bankers; Duncan Muthusi was voted as the Secretary General, Gabriel Okomo as the Deputy Secretary-General and Alphonse Were as the Organizing Secretary. However, Kubai has refused to adhere to the constitution and vacate office.
Mr. Kubai has been accused of keeping Union information a secret thereby perpetuating corruption at the Union; using the union’s accounts as his personal bank accounts.
The recent complaints are as follows:
- In her letter, the Registrar has referenced that she was advised by the General Secretary Isaiah Kubai that we didn’t meet BIFU constitutional thresholds.
- We demanded 5 items from Kubai in October 2018: copies of audited accounts for the last 5 years, members register for both branch & national, annual delegates conferences & notices convening the same, list of delegates, physical location of branches. He supplied fraudulent copies of the same in March 2020.
- In December 2018, through our lawyer, Mari & Advocates, we demanded the members register from the Registrar of Trade unions, the same has not been supplied to date.
- 19 of the 27 delegates that allegedly took part in 2016 elections are not members of the union, as evidenced by the national register supplied by Kubai
- BIFU has no branch registers, which could have been organised to come up with branch officials, who would eventually set up a National Office. Hence the purpoted officials got into office fraudulently and they do not enjoy any support from the membership.
- BIFU NEC has falsified an auditors stamp & filed fraudulent returns to the Registrar of Trade unions.
7. Physical branch offices (apart from Nairobi) do not exist. Branch members
Would you like to get published on this Popular Blog? You can now email Cyprian Nyakundi any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected] Videos and pictures can be sent to +254 710 280 973 on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram.