CAPTION: An image of Kisii Town.
I’ve been reading your articles prompting this email. I have an issue which I believe you will properly address, given your prominence as a blogger and the fact that you hail from Kisii.
I am a resident of Kisii County. I used to work at Kisii Mat but was unlawfully laid off.
Kisii Mat (owned by Asians) is a well doing supermarket in Kisii with several branches and with intention to expand to other counties.
I tell you what my brother; whatever is happening at Kisii Mat is not good at all (over and above the usual normal contempt Asians have towards Africans like spitting on you etc).
1. Workers get in as early as 7.30am leave at 8pm with no break in between (completely no break, even for a single minute).
2. We get peanuts as salary, money that can’t
sustain person (for such a kind of a supermarket with many branches) and they
choose to pay you at any date they think is appropriate, including mid-month.
3. If you happen to get late with or without a good or genuine reason even by a difference of 5 minutes it’s either you will be sent back home or you will have to agree to get paid half day though you will work the whole day.
4. There’s nothing like sick off or sick leave, if you happen to fall sick you will have to produce a doctor’s document so as not be fired on the spot and you won’t be paid the number of days you missed work as result of the sickness.
5. They don’t give off days or leave; I mean guys
work for 7 days a week (Monday to Sunday), 365 days a year.
6. You can be fired at any moment since when being hired no one signs any document/contract. All agreement is done by word of mouth
7. They don’t remit our contributions to NHIF or NSSF.
The worst and most saddening part is that I have come to realize recently after making inquiries that the county officials and Employees from Ministry of Labour in Kisii are working together with the management of Kisii Mat to deny these workers their rights.
Would you like to get published on this Popular Blog? You can now email Cyprian Nyakundi any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected] Videos and pictures can be sent to +254 710 280 973 on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram.