Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Cyprian Is Nyakundi

Tech

Facebook says it removed 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand mosque attack

Tech giant Facebook through a statement posted on its twitter handle said that the company managed to remove 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand shooting from its platform in the first 24 hours after the mosque attack.

“In the first 24 hours we removed 1.5 million videos of the attack globally, of which over 1.2 million were blocked at upload.,”

The company said it is also removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content out of respect for the people affected by the mosque shooting and the concerns of local authorities.

“Out of respect for the people affected by this tragedy and the concerns of local authorities, we’re also removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content.” — Mia Garlick, Facebook New Zealand

The main suspect in the shootings, 28-year-old white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, while Using what appeared to be a helmet-mounted camera, live-streamed on Facebook the horrific attack on worshippers at the Al Noor Mosque to millions of viewers.

Facebook also said that it had pulled down Brenton Tarrant’s Facebook and Instagram pages.

Other social media platforms like YouTube and Twitter have reportedly been battling to stop the spread of the viral live stream on their platforms.

While sending condolence messages to the bereaved families, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that there was an urgent need to discuss the live streaming with Facebook officials.

“This is an issue that goes well beyond New Zealand but that doesn’t mean we can’t play an active role in seeing it resolved. This is an issue I will look to be discussing directly with Facebook.”

The violent shooting in two mosques rocked New Zealand’s eastern city of Christchurch on Friday, has left at least 50 people killed and dozens injured.


Would you like to get published on this Popular Blog? You can now email Cyprian Nyakundi any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected] Videos and pictures can be sent to +254 710 280 973 on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram.


Comments

comments

 
Click to comment

Facebook

You May Also Like

News

A distressed parent has raised an alarm over a video clip that surfaced on social media, which supposedly shows an incident of corporal punishment...

News

Reports have emerged that popular Twitter personality “Frank Obegi” was one of the four men whose mutilated bodies were found in Kijabe Forest this...

News

The family of a pedestrian who was knocked down last Saturday by a reckless driver in Embakasi is still searching for justice for their...

News

Remember Josephine Mwandoe, the alleged mistress to CFAO Motors Kenya CEO Arvinder Reel Singh? Earlier in April, this blog highlighted how the curvaceous and...

Copyright © 2021 Cyprian Is Nyakundi.

%d bloggers like this: