It is barely 3 weeks to the census now. But we have not been reminded of the fact. Yet we are a forgetting nation.
I decided to visit the internet to know what this census is about. I have a few things I didn’t know about the 2019 census before. They are:
- Time: The night of 24/25 August. That is Saturday/Sunday.
- Where: Wherever one will be that night. It is assumed all will be awake or asleep in a household headed by a family head or any other responsible person.
- What does census involve? Just counting people in a household and knowing how many they are?
No. Counting is just a by the way. Census means collecting all the information the state requires so as to plan many things for its citizens. For instance if the state knows how many people are living with cancer then it will know what to plan for them.
- Who will give the required information?
The head of the household will give the information required. If absent, any other responsible adult will do it.
- What method will be used to get information.
A set of questions will requiring any answer will be presented to the head of the household. It is called a questionnaire.No marks will be awarded though.
- How many questions will those be? 8areas have been listed as sources of the questions. The other day I heard a total of 20 questions will be asked. In answering my questionnaire below,I will try to give what has not been given.
- How long will it take to ask and answer the questions?
It will take between 35 and 45 minutes per household.
- Which languages will be used? English and Kiswahili. However for those who dont use these two languages,the enumerators will translate for them. But the answers will be recorded in either English or Kiswahili.
COME, SEE ME FILL IN MY QUESTIONNAIRE.
NOTE THAT THE STARRED QUESTIONS ARE MY IMPROVISED ONES.
- Questions 1-8 are based on what I got from the internet. In that order. Maybe they will change the order.
- LIVESTOCK POPULATION.
Answer: 10 rabbits.
- MAIN SOURCES OF WATER:
Answer: The drain water from the sand harvested in a river infested with crocodiles.
- RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION.
Answer :African Roman Catholic Church.
- NUMBER OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITY.
- POPULATION ATTENDING SCHOOL.
Answer: 4.in Upper Primary and 2 in County co-education day schools.
- MODE OF HUMAN WASTE
Answer: Earthen floor,mud walled and grass thatch roof pit latrine.
- TOTAL FAMILY MEMBERS.
- ETHNIC AFFILIATION.
Answer: All are Gikuyu speaking Kenyans.
- TYPE OF HOUSING.
Answer: A 3 roomed mud walled and grass thatch roof house.
- TYPE OF FUEL
Answer: Kerosine and kuni.
- MODE OF TRANSPORT.
Answer: Walking and bodaboda.
- INANIMATE ASSETS And their locations eg parcels of land, businesses,
automobiles, Real Estate holdings.
Answer: A (30 by 60 )feet plot of land inherited from my father.
- HOW MANY MEMBERS WITH KRA PIN?
Answer: One member.
- HOW DO YOU ACCESS TREATMENT WHEN SICK?
Answer: We buy tablets from the shops. We also use home treatment with known herbs like Mwarobaine and Gakongo/Aloe vera. Our pastor prays for us and anoints us. We cant afford the NHIF to access treatment at the nearby Dispensary.
1OCCUPATION/MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD.
Answer: Casual labour from neighbours when available.
- NUMBER OF MEMBERS LIVING WITH EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING: Diabetes,hypertension,heart disease,mental illness,cancer, HIV.
Answer: One living with Diabetes and Cancer.
- MARITAL STATUS or FAMILY TYPE
Answer: Single parent household.
- HOW DO YOU ACCESS INFORMATION? Via, Computers,Mobile phones,TV,Newspaper,radio. Answer: 3 pocket radios and 2 Kambabe mobile phones.
- HOW MANY MEMBERS HAVE IDENTITY CARDS AND PASSPORTS? Answer: 3 have Identity cards.
- ANY INNOVATOR IN THE HOUSEHOLD? Answer: Yes. One has invented an organic pesticide against army worms,fruit flies army worms and jiggers.
You have seen my filled in Questionnaire. I have nothing to hide.
Note, The enumerator will record your answers in a tablet. They are also under oath to keep any information you give them a secret.
Would you like to get published on this Popular Blog? You can now email Cyprian Nyakundi any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected] Videos and pictures can be sent to +254 710 280 973 on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram.